This lip balm recipe is for all of my vegan friends who aren’t interested in having beeswax in their lip balm.
This is a really simple recipe to make and it’s super moisturizing. Say goodbye to chapped lips with this vegan-friendly lip balm recipe. Read on to learn how to make lip balm without beeswax!
The following post may contain affiliate links of products I use and love. You can read my full disclosure here.
Lip Balm Recipe without Beeswax
Yes, it’s totally possible to make a super, creamy, dreamy lip balm without beeswax.
The texture is slightly different – it has more of a glossy finish than your typical lip balm with beeswax.
I actually love this lip balm recipe without beeswax and I tend to make it more than my regular DIY natural lip balm recipe!
What’s in a DIY Lip Balm without Beeswax?
The ingredients in our vegan lip balm are cocoa butter, coconut oil, avocado oil and candelilla wax.
Candelilla wax is what helps to bind the ingredients of the lip balm together. It comes from the leaves of the candelilla shrub, native to Mexico. It is very similar in texture to beeswax and has similar properties.
Candelilla wax has a very mild scent so it doesn’t overpower the rest of the ingredients. Cocoa butter, on the other hand, has a very strong scent (that I personally love) and I find that it’s too overpowering for essential oils so I usually leave them out when I’m using it.
If you want to add essential oils, try adding peppermint essential oil to make it a chocolatey minty lip balm (yum!). You could also switch out the cocoa butter for kokum butter. It has the same texture as cocoa butter without the scent and then you could add whichever essential oils you desire.
When I use kokum butter instead of cocoa butter, my favorite essential oil combination is peppermint + grapefruit. It’s so refreshing on the lips.
Once you learn how to make lip balm without beeswax, the possibilities are endless!
Ingredients for DIY Lip Balm without Beeswax
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa Butter (or Kokum Butter)
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Avocado Oil (can substitute any carrier oil like jojoba, fractionated coconut or olive oil)
- 1 tsp Candelilla Wax
- Containers – tins or lip balm tubes both work well. This recipe will make about 2 ounces.
- Essential Oils (optional)
How to Make Lip Balm without Beeswax
- Add a little bit of water to a small saucepan and let it simmer.
- Add all of the ingredients to a glass bowl.
- Place the bowl over the saucepan and stir the ingredients around until they melt.
- Take the bowl off the heat – if you are using essential oils add about 10 drops and stir really really well!
- Pour your mixture into the tins or lip balm tubes and let cool. Done!
Will you try this lip balm recipe without beeswax?
This lip balm recipe couldn’t be any easier to make and a great one to have in your back pocket. It’s an awesome multi-purpose product too. You can use it all over your body! I love to use it as an eye cream, on my cuticles and on any dry skin patches. My kids love it too!